Thursday, July 31, 2008

Two for Dancing Queen


Between us, the Man and I share a disparate taste in movies. Harry Potter, Harrison Ford,  the ensemble casts of mockumentarian Christopher Guest... not what you'd call a strong thread of continuity there. 

So would you figure I was straining at the leash to go see "Mamma Mia," and that he was more than willing to accompany? I'm not sure I even like Abba, or remember any of their songs except for the brain-gripping "Dancing Queen." But Meryl Streep and Pierce Brosnan singing Abba on a Greek Island -- gotta go!

We realize that if I can leave work on time today, we can make the late matinee showing of Momma Mia. It's a bit of a horse race though, and we jog up to the ticket counter in the very nick of time. 

"Two for Dancing Queen!" I call out breathlessly. The man gives us our tickets and asks if we want popcorn or a drink. Distracted, I make Italianate hand gestures (the nice kind). "I mean, Momma Mia, two for Momma Mia." 

He smiles, "I knew what you meant."

I don't think I was still for even one moment of the movie. Toes, knees, shoulders, head, vocal chords -- something was going the entire time. 

In my imagination, I'm Meryl and the Man is Pierce. Gotta whisk him away to the Aegean Sea. 

"You can dance, you can jive, having the time of your life
See that girl, watch that scene, diggin' the dancing queen"


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home