Thursday, July 31, 2008

Hero of the Day

Tom Sepa. 
www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/200/07/31/BAPB1227KF.DTL

Officially listed as homeless, he holds down an internet sales job while camping out in Golden Gate Park. Tom has a car, a laptop, a cell phone, and a wireless card giving his laptop internet access even when he is out of wifi range (say, sitting cross-legged under the Eucalyptus trees in the park). He spends most days at the Zephyr Cafe, where Kristen and I have met to work on our erstwhile novels. He orders coffee, et al, puts on his headset, and starts work. 

Tom is one of the increasingly stressed middle class. As do so many of us, he lived a couple of paychecks away from trouble. When he and his wife split (causes unstated; she left) he could no longer afford the rent on their house. After trying and hating some of the homeless-lodging options offered by the City, he decided it was smarter and safer to camp out. 

He's on his way to saving $10,000 -- his goal before re-entering "normal" life. In San Francisco, it takes anywhere from $4,000--$8,000 to get into regular rentals, either apartments, flats, condos or homes. 

If I directed an affordable housing and rent-to-own non-profit (one of my ephemeral goals) I would sign him up. Since I'm a writer, maybe I'll turn his story into a screenplay. 

Tom, I may never meet you, but what you're doing really resonates with me. I hope your wife didn't leave because of anything sad, bad or scary you did. I hope you're a good guy, because I like believing in good guys. Regardless, I think your urban survival tactics are spot-on. I'm praying for the time when your tent will just be used for weekend getaways. 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home