Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Brrrrr!

I've been so high on the sheer joy of this, that I may have overlooked the one real drawback: swimming in cold water wearing a thin wetsuit.

The worst moments are just before and just starting. I kiss Richard before heading into the water, and can't help but notice how toasty warm he is in his fleece jacket. I turn towards the water and remember how cold it is. Then I step into the surf and memory becomes fierce reality.

My new ploy is the run and dive (successor to the bend and snap). Even if I'm still in two feet of surf, if I'll hurry and get in the water and start moving, the shock begins to fade more quickly.

I'm going to an "open water swim training" clinic tomorrow night. It's held at the Sports Basement, so the most difficult thing will be getting out without buying anything.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home