Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Newscycle Haiku

This voracious world
Records ev'ry and no thing
Lights, cam'ra, action!



Ricky is a news camera magnet. We go somewhere, a news camera appears, and someone says "Excuse me sir, could I interview you about the rising cost of gas?"

Last week, my sister and brother-in-law were in town. The happy sight-seers came home in the early evening and asked about the wayward whales, wandering 'round the bay. We turned on the TV in time to hear a breathless news-muffin say the coast guard believed the whales were heading for the Golden Gate bridge and freedom out in the Pacific.

What a lark, let's go walk the bridge in the cool evening breeze and scan the sea for "Delta" and "Dawn." (I know, don't blame me, I didn't name them.)

We pull up to the GG bridge parking area, take ten steps from the car and suddenly News Muffin #2 appears, whips her camera around to Ricky and says, "So did you come to see the whales?"

The Man, holding The Dog, provides an erudite, clear, engaging reply. We walk the bridge in the falling light, evening bringing ever-colder winds, haunted by the news cameras. I see a coast guard cutter preceded by two dark shapes in the water. Excited, I run. Excited, the camera tracks me. They are seals, not whales.



Cold and invigorated, we go home to warm pasta and room-temperature wine.

Next day, we take the Pathfinder in for routine service and our favorite automotive guru says, "Were you by any chance on the Bridge looking for whales last night?"

Powerful TV
Broadcasts random citizens
Chasing seal shadows

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home