Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Sorting the threads

One of my cousin Janine's many gifts is her magical reweaving ability -- clothes, not hair.

If you bring her a sweater that has holes or snags where the weaving has clearly come apart, she slowly, persistently, magically works it all back together.

A dozen years ago my sister Julie gave me a green cable knit sweater I have worn to pieces. With my ridiculous abundance of clothing, I continue to wear this damned thing! But this old green cotton sweater sums up everything good about winter. And reminds me of the Beloved Jules. So year after year, I beg Janine for another Christmas Reweaving Miracle -- it is after all the Season...

With this blog, I'm trying to do something somewhat opposite -- isolate a thread from the weave of my life, and pull it out just a little on its own. Find the humor and joy in the daily pages of life, and spin out something perhaps funny, fragile, absurd.

I'm serious about conquering my vertigo, but I think humor helps win the fight.

If I'm going to write about the more serious things... well, that seems to call for another blog. Enter
http://m25.blogspot.com/
stage left.

In May, I'll be going on a trip to the UK to learn -- among other things -- about the pervasive practices of human (sex) trafficking and gender crimes. The trip won't be all sad times -- there will be dinners with friends, worship with artists -- good nourishing things.

I don't know where this trip will lead, or what I'll wind up doing back here in San Francisco because of the trip. But this seems a journey worth taking, and worth chronicling.

And who knows, maybe next Christmas I'll bring my two blogs to Janine instead of my sweater...see if she can find a way to weave the threads back together for me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home